Monday, May 15, 2006

How do you clean your chain?


Evidently, I use my pants leg to clean my chain. This does not speak well of my general maintenance skills, but I do work hard to take of my bike. Mandatory before every ride is checking the tire pressure. I hate flats more than anything else, and I do get my fair share. The least I can do is make sure I reduce my chances of a "pinch flat" by having the tires properly inflated. Next is the chain and drive train cleaning. This falls more along the lines of once a week for general riding conditions. Long weekend rides or races moves the drivetrain to the mandatory list. That leads me to two more pet peeves. 1. Being the person on a group ride whose bike is always making questionable noises (lack of bike TLC). 2. Paying for race and ending up with a DNF especially if it is something that I could have prevented, that just sucks. I actually like to see if I do finish last. Other than that, I just try to pay attention to the bike for any potential maintenance issues as they arise. That help me eliminate having to use my pants leg as a maintenance device. Have a nice day.

SC

No comments: