Monday, July 25, 2005

Credit , where credit is due

In my last post, I started in on the importance of connecting breath to workload. I referenced an article in Mountain Flyer Magazine, however Steve Ilg and his book entitled Wholistic Fitness deserve the credit for introducing me to this school of thought. I was riding this weekend and that came to mind. I really appreciate the Wholistic Fitness concept, well at least about 95% of it. Check it out with a google search. His books were what I enjoyed the most. They were straight forward and not over the top.

The weekend allotted for two good rides. Saturday morning was a great fixed gear ride. I was able to turn the pedals over for about two hours and enjoyed a ride along the front range. The highlight of the ride was through Red Rocks, the world famous concert venue. I have ridden through here many time and the scenery is truly spectacular. However, this Saturday morning I took a different exit down to Morrison. Absolutely beautiful. I am always amazed at how much more you can see and participate in, when riding your bike.

Sunday I got a chance to do one of my favorite rides, a trip to the top of Lookout Mtn. Always enjoyable and always a good work out. From pillar to post, I believe it close to 5 miles, and gains over 1,000 feet. Needless to say, for a thick thug like myself it is always a challenge. My best time so far this year is 32:40. By no means great. Although I have been marking my time as measurement for improvement, I do try not to focus on it. The ride is really very enjoyable with a lot to offer and not just a great climb. I think that the fastest time up is around 22 minutes. I could be wrong, but that is the number I did hear.

SC

No comments: