Sunday, June 12, 2005

Changing gears

A midseason adjustment in priorities as I take some time off the bike to prepare for an epic adventure - running. It is not that I don't run on a regular basis, but that I will actually focus on running for the next two weeks. That should be enough time to prepare for the grand adventure of running 38 miles through the night. Phil and Paul say that your body changes after you compete in a grand tour and I would say the same is true when you push your body beyond its capabilities. I have had many drunken discussions with ultra runners and bikers who would concur. I liken it to the concept of a derailleur - if you can gear down to climb the hill and take the easy way out or you can push your body to conquer the hill.

"I'm not really fast, but I go for a long time" - Dean Karnazes

No comments: