Thursday, June 02, 2005

Thank you sir, may I have another...

I was able to get out last night (Wednesday) for another strong ride. A great single speed ride around Green Mountain took the last available "juice" from my legs. I do need to gear down, pushing 54 inces is a bit much. I should move closer to 49 inches. I have known this for some time now, but continue to drag my feet on making this adjustment. Is it because I really do like to suffer? Am hoping to cause some permanent knee damage? No, I suspect, that in my small devious mind, I am hoping to work a little harder and get a little stronger. Coming from an "old school athletic mentality" more sufferring equals better results. I know this to some degree is faulty logic. However, it is an interesting case study: Why is it so dificult to shed life patterns that are not in the best interest of meeting a particular goal?

A quote from the book The Quotable Cyclist by Bill Strickland

"I began to feel that myself plus the bicycle equaled myself plus the world, upon whose spinning wheel we must all learn to ride, or fall into the sluiceways of oblivion and despair"
Frances Willard, How I learned to Ride the Bicycle

No comments: